- Tri-Tip roast (Choice or Prime)
- Smokin’ 208 BBQ Rub
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 min - 2 hours
Preferred Pellets: Gold or Texas for a little deeper smoke flavor
Let’s Get Started
- Breakout the tri-tip, sharpen your knife and trim large sections of fat.
- Thoroughly coat the tri-tip with Smokin’ 208 BBQ Rub and rub it into the meat. Place in a large zip-lock bag, seal it and refrigerate. Let it marinate for 1-2 days.
- Remove from refrigerator and bring it up to room temp (1-3 hours prior to cooking).
- Get your smoker warmed up to 200 degrees.
- Put tri-tip on, insert your temperature probe. Let it smoke for 1-1/2 – 2 hours (don’t let it get over 110°). If you have less time, start your smoker at 225.
- Finish it off; Increase grill to 400° so that the exterior caramelizes and the internal temp reaches about 130°. This will give you some rare meat in the middle and medium on the end cuts. NOTE: If you plan to serve it later, pull it closer to 125°, wrap it up in aluminum foil, then put a towel around it and place in small cooler. It will continue to rise in temp.
- Let the finished Tri-Tip rest for at least 10 minutes prior to cutting.
NOTE: Cook by feel – don’t leave your BBQ Post for any longer than you need to refill your beer! Be in the moment, monitor your temp’s (external temps will affect your cook time… hot out ~ faster, cold ~ slower.
Cut it right –always against the grain! (see images below). Chef Lobo tip #232: before cutting, place knife parallel to the longest side of tri-tip, now cut from the opposite end; you will start cutting at the tip!